Newsletter tells you all the current matters and events at the campus and Vaasa
You are warmly welcome to study at the University of Vaasa and also to join us as a member of VYY. VYY represents all students of the University of Vaasa. You’ll see shortly that a VYY membership offers versatile and high quality member benefits and that the Student Union provides a wide range of services and activities for its members.
All Student Union members are warmly welcome to join our activities and, for example, our committees, which are an easy way to participate in and affect those activities.
Additional information on VYY and its activities, benefits and services is available on this website. Our members’ well-being is important to us.
We’ve put together useful information to this page to help you get through your first year of studies.
When you receive the approval letter, please familiarize yourself with all the accompanying materials very carefully. The instructions will tell you exactly what you need to do and by which deadlines.
The most important thing is that you confirm acceptance of your University placing and pay the VYY membership fee in accordance with the Student Union’s fee guidelines. For students starting in the autumn term of 2018, the membership fee must be paid by 15:00 on 28.8.2018 due to course registrations.
Be sure to keep / print a receipt of membership fee payment! You will need it when you arrive on campus.
Before starting your studies
You should start searching for accommodation immediately. The Student Housing Foundation in Vaasa (VOAS) offers affordable student accommodation close to the university and services.
We recommend you to take the first apartment offered, even if it does not match your wishes perfectly. Housing shortage in August and September is considerable, and for this reason you should accept the first option that turns up in order to secure your accommodation. Starting October onwards, new rental apartments start reappearing on the market in bigger numbers, and by spring you may eventually find an apartment you really like and relocate to it.
Remember to notify both the post office and the local register office of your change of address. Remember also to choose Vaasa as your new municipality of residence if you’ve only recently arrived. By doing so, you will also receive all municipal services.
Please study your copy of the letter to first year students carefully. There will also be a welcome greeting from your tutor in it. He is your guide to the University at the early stages of your studies.
The first days and weeks at the University are usually an absolute avalanche of events. On the first day, you’ll meet your tutor and attend the introduction to the University, studies, and academic life. Your tutor is a volunteer amongst the students who wishes to contribute to our work. The University of Vaasa is a close-knit community, and help is always available on request.
VYY also organizes student parties where all new students of the University of Vaasa are welcome. Most legendary of them are the first night and first weekend parties, which are not to be missed! At the end of the tutorship period, an initiation ceremony is arranged, where new students will be formally accepted as members of the academic community.
Take care of these immediately:
- Enroll to the University and pay the Student Union fee
- Print the receipt of the payment or take a screen shot of the receipt and keep it with you until you have received your student card or have downloaded the Frank App
- Download the Frank App or order your plastic student card from www.frank.fi
- Find an apartment at www.voas.fi
- Notify the post office and the local register office about your move: https://www.posti.fi/changeaddress/
- Apply for the student benefits, https://www.kela.fi/web/en
First things to do in the autumn:
- In case you’ve ordered a plastic student card, make sure you get the academic year sticker to it. You can get the sticker from Student Union service office. In case you decide to use the Frank App, no sticker is needed
- Get your own academic year calendar from our service office
- Ask questions from your tutor or from the Student Union in case there’s anything you’d like to know
- Subscribe to VYY's newsletter here
- Sign in to the FSHS Self-service. It is an online service through which students can communicate with the FSHS
- Get familiar with the Student Union and all other organizations and clubs in the campus